Self taught creative Jennilee Marigomen personifies a paradigm shift in the way we interpret habitual art and the happenstance phenomenon of photography.

Currently living and working in Vancouver, the dissension that tethers nature to it's constructs is consistent across the cityscape and equally as prominent in her photographs. In this examination the perpetual displacement between the wild landscape and the simulated environment yield a profundity and mystique that defines Marigomen's vision.

The painterly compositions and unexpected subtleties of her work impart an equity of form and a spectrum so vivid and emotive that they're often aligned with a specific level of concentration and contemplation. It's through this consummate evocation of light, roused by her meditative process where she investigates a sensitivity often reserved exclusively for the reverent. Being privy to her second sight is a spiritual experience, transcending formalities, empyrean beyond a doubt.

Where did you grow up and how did that shape your formative years stylistically?

I grew up in Vancouver, Canada. Throughout my childhood, I was interested in art, in painting, animation, and ceramics. In high school, I became interested in photography. I stopped for a bit after graduating to focus on my studies in fashion. Several years later, I bought a digital camera for my day job. I took a few photography night courses to learn how to use it and gained an interest in art photography – which led me back to 35mm photography. Because I did not go to art school, I was mainly inspired by photography I saw in books, galleries, and the internet, all of which have been a huge influence on me.



Tell us a little about the places you've travelled to, are they reflective of your aesthetic and sensibilities?

My first trip alone was to Montreal in my early twenties. Before that, I was intimidated by airports. A friend took me to the airport and showed me how to check in, go through security, etc. Now I enjoy airports, flying, and being in transit. I find it very stimulating, and I find the whole concept of being in a space in the sky and in between two places very interesting. 

I camp along the Pacific Northwest quite often. Tofino, BC, and La Push, WA, both surf destinations, are very beautiful and often have a dense, mysterious fog over their bodies of water. The forests are so green and lush, unlike anywhere I have ever been. I run on "Island time" when I'm at those places. I look at things more closely, and for a long time.

I have lived in Vancouver all my life, but visit Toronto, New York and Los Angeles for work and exhibition projects every now and then. I went to Mexico last year, where I worked on my "Window Seat" series. I think that my aesthetic and sensibilities stay consistent wherever I go, and my images stay for the most part, calm and introspective.



Tell us what you love about your current home and what you could live without.

I love sitting on my couch and looking out the window. I could live without the clutter.



Where would you like to explore next?

France and Iceland.

How have you been spending your days of late? Take us through your typical weekday & weekend.

During the week, I work my day job, and work on creative projects at night. I try to visit the water every day after work.

During weekends, I go on long walks with my camera, do photography assignments, visit galleries, and see friends.



What's involved in your creative process?  How do you like to work? What mediums/tools do you like to use?

I do a lot of walking by myself while listening to music. That is when I am the most perceptive and in-tune with my surroundings. Walking is a very important part of my work. I remember one day last year when I was walking home from work with my camera. It is normally a 10 minute walk. There was a sweet light coming through the trees during “golden hour”.  I was in a pensive mindset, the right music was playing in my headphones, and I was taking everything in. I could hear the sounds of leaves rustling mixed with the camera shutter, the smells, the feeling of the wind on my skin. It felt like photography was having me. 

This act of being lost in experiencing and revelling in my environment is as fulfilling to me as the finished product.

I use a Nikon F90x camera, shoot on Kodak Portra 400 film, and prefer natural light.
Describe your ideal project, collaborators and workspace.

Project: I love working on printed matter, especially books and posters.

Collaborators: I have been lucky enough to have worked with many of my favorite artists through my slideshow exhibitions and through 01 Magazine.

Workspace: Outdoors, on a brisk day. Indoors, with natural light, white walls, a large desk, and having the room as empty as possible.



Can you tell us a little about what you're working on at the moment?

A book I have worked on with four other Canadian photographers will be released soon by Japanese publisher, Twelve Books in collaboration with Inventory Magazine. I am also finishing up a collaborative projection show with New York based artist, David Horvitz.
Who are the artists/authors/auteurs/albums that have most influenced you?

Some of my favorite photographers include Jason Fulford, Wolfgang Tillmans, Luigi Ghirri, Anders Edström, Rinko Kawauchi, Ola Rindal, Ali Bosworth, and Jason Nocito.

Some of my favorite non-photographic artists include Andy Goldsworthy, Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Brad Phillips, Ed Ruscha, and Peter Fischli and David Weiss.

I am also very interested in design for children – for play and educational purposes. Bruno Munari’s work, children’s books and teachings are so wonderful.

If you look at my inspiration blog, I share more of those type of things than photographs by photographers. http://www.jennilee.tumblr.com.



What are your everyday essentials, ensemble, beauty, health, inspiration?

My camera.
Vitamin D.
Running shoes.
Dr. Bronners Peppermint Magic Soap.
Visiting the water daily.
What have you been coveting?

More film and artwork trades with other artists.



How has your taste evolved? What did you like as a child, in high school, college?

I had a pretty modest upbringing, so I took everything home when I was younger. Now, I ask myself if something is really necessary.
I like simplicity.



What next? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I've always kept the future open.



Philosophy on life and love?

Be present in the moment.

Read here.